Hi guys. :) In between articles for now, as I work on refining Inkwarren's core systems for the final ashcan. I'll probably write an article soon on my thoughts for the Battle subsystem, as well as one for a side project I'm working on called The Savannah Project.
I went on a hike with some friends earlier in the afternoon yesterday. I've been playing TTRPGs with them since early college (and each of them still plays Inkwarren with me weekly to this day), and one of them mentioned that while he still enjoys TTRPGs, they don't hold the same "hyperfixation" quality that they did for him when we first met. Now-- they are just a hobby that he enjoys, like board games.
Obviously, that's healthy. I still love games. I love game design. When I interact with art or people or the world I've always got mechanics on my mind. Why is that?
I have always loved humanity. I majored in sociology in college, and while the job market there continues to whither, I still loved my core classes. I love history. I love linguistics. In many ways, art is an intersection of both (as many things are). Art is equal parts communication and expression. It is both an expression of the internal self and a communication with those who view it. Games are much of the same thing.
I once read, and I've long forgotten where, that TTRPGs are "board games where a shared imagined space is a central component". We're playing a board game, but we're also playing pretend. Different game designers will wax poetic about the intent of mechanics (and I am by no means seasoned in this regard), but my two cents: game mechanics are communication. A game mechanic joins the collective understandings of each player with the rules of the world they are playing in-- that's the magic for me.
Designing a game mechanic is an invigorating activity of coming up with answers to questions like: 'How do I engender a feeling through a rule?'. How do I make a player feel like they are swinging a sword? Like their life is in danger? Like they've lost a friend? What do I want the game to feel like, and how do I translate that?
When people talk about truly genius game mechanics, they often reference how effectively those game mechanics engender an emotion-- sometimes, that emotion is joy! It's fun! The ever-popular Dungeons and Dragons does this well through its arguably most famous mechanic: the Natural 20 (even if the actual mechanics of the natural 20 are mostly down to table culture). For most tables, a Natural 20 means 'you do something awesome'. It's a 5% chance, and when it happens, the entire table gives a collective 'no fucking way' and waits for you or the GM to describe the badasssery that takes place. Even outside of dedicated TTRPG spheres, the phrase 'natural 20' has become almost synonymous with 'to do something awesome'. This is a great mechanic. (Don't make me praise 5e anymore).
Another excellent, oft-mentioned mechanic is the core resolution of the horror game Dread. Dread uses a Jenga tower in its game play. When your character does something risky, you pull a block from the tower. If it falls, your character exits the narrative. Pulling a Jenga block is already an anxiety-inducing procedure. Assigning the life of your player character to it adds yet another dimension of finality that does what the mechanic intends to: it makes you feel dread.
If you want a mechanic to be exciting, give it a low random chance with a great effect when it triggers. If you want a mechanic to be scary, give the same chance for severe consequences. If you want your characters to think about things like crossing rivers or buying horses or moving unseen, you must create a game that cares about those things.
To say nothing of designing them, the most enticing part of design is the social dimension of games (with the exception of solo TTRPGs, of which there are many fantastic options). Every rule I design can't be just for me-- I have to think about how other people might translate it in their heads. After I get a rule that works on paper, I have to test it out to see if it actually works for communicating intent to the average player. Sometimes I hit. Most of the time, I miss, and the puzzle begins anew.
There is nothing else like this in the world.
Currently, the Battle mechanics in Inkwarren are not working. There's too many moving parts, the players and I forget rules, and most of all: it's just too easy for the players to win. I'm trying to engender a feeling of necessary teamwork into every Battle, and the current mechanics aren't hitting. I have a playtest next week with some new rules to try out. It's the most fun I've ever had with a hobby, ever.
Why do I love TTRPGs?
My partner loves putting together clues and solving mysteries. My other friend loves using his wits to solve problems. Yet another friend loves quiet moments and long, personal conversations. I love politics and history and intrigue. This Friday, we will sit down around a table together, and I'll open up a Google Doc on my computer. I'll turn on some mood music, turn down the lights, and ask them for a thumbs up if they're ready to go.
Then, we'll use some rules I wrote, and all of us will tell a story together.
No comments:
Post a Comment